Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Absinthe in High Def

I've never really been into High Def, that was until my roommate came home with a 60" High Def TV. I've been sold. I recommend going to buy one just so you can watch the Discovery Channels "Planet Earth". It is amazing. They spent 5 years filming this show just to capture some of the most amazing scenes in the world.

I also watched the show Three Sheets to the Wind on the HD channel. That show is also amazing (the theme of the night). The theme of the show is a comedian who travels to different countries and gets wasted with the locals. Tonight he was in Prague and he drank absinthe, which is awful, and he came to that same conclusion.

Here comes my digression....I tried Absinthe for the first time in Aix en Provence, France. As youngsters studying abroad in Europe, the first thing we had to do to break the shackles of American restraint was go buy the most horrid looking green liquor from the local market and consume it. Everyone had read the stories of people hallucinating on this intoxicating mixture of green fire water and wormwood. While in the 1800's may have had enough wormwood to cause hallucinations, the only thing it is now is highly alcoholic, on the order of 151 proof.

It tastes like a mixture of Jaeger and Everclear. Prague is famous for it, but no locals drink it. Why? Well, did you not just hear the two liquors I compared it to. How do you think they would taste mixed? It is a stupid gimmick that stupid Americans think they will be cool if they try. The last time I got drunk off the stuff, which coincidentally was the first time, I ended up covered in soot at 4 A.M. Unfortunately it wasn't a hallucination.

Oh yea, the Travel channel has a show coming on tomorrow about 1000 places to see before you die. I'm going to watch that too. Hopefully they wont be trying absinthe.

No comments: